Dr. Sami Khoury
Dr. Sami was the youngest of 7 children, born on the 20th of May 1922 to Mr. Salim Nikola Khoury and Mrs. Hanneh Sama'an Harb in Nablus. He was raised in a middle class cultured and conservative family. His family moved to Jenin in 1930 and eventually settled down in Jerusalem. Dr. Sami graduated from Saint George's School in Jerusalem in 1940 and finished his medical degree from the American University of Beirut in 1946. After that, he worked in numerous government hospitals in Jerusalem, Nablus, and Jaffa. Dr. Sami went to specialize in general surgery in the UK where he received his training in London and Edinburgh and was the first Jordanian to become a fellow under the Royal College of Surgeons in 1952. Dr. Sami went back to Jerusalem and became the head of the surgical department at Augusta Victoria Hospital till 1960.
Dr. Sami received his fellowship from the American College of Surgeons as well as the International College of Surgeons in 1954. He later went to the US with the support of the Fulbright Scholarship Program and specialized in heart and chest surgery at John's Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore and George Washington Hospital in Washington D.C. in 1955. He was the first Jordanian to use a closed anaesthesia system in Middle East which enabled him undergo heart and chest surgery, and made Augusta Victoria a regional hospital for thoracic surgery. Dr. Sami established the first blood bank with the help of Dr. Jamil Tutunji, who was the minister of health at the time. He also established the first nursing school in Jordan at the Augusta Victoria Hospital.
Dr. Sami established Palestine Hospital under the patronage of the late King Hussein on the 22nd of June 1960, and strived to make it an advanced center of surgery nationally and regionally with the help of his wife Greta. He supervised the birth of HRH King Abdullah the II on the 30th of January 1962 in the hospital. He also established Save the Children association in Jordan with the help of the association in the UK under the leadership of Princess Basma bin Talal which played an important role in improving the health of children in impoverished areas. Dr. Sami also established the Sania Fund under the patronage of the Episocal Anglican Church with the aim of subsidizing children from poor families. He also established the Jordanian Society of Surgeons in 1972 and played an important role in establishing the private hospital association with the aim of improving the private healthcare sector in Jordan.
Dr. Sami retired from his administrative role in 1985 and from his medical role later in 1987. He served in numerous volunteer positions in the Episocal Anglican Church in Jerusalem and the Middle East including the head of the Church. He also served in numerous charitable and volunteer institutions.
For his distinguished role in developing medical care in Jordan, Dr. Sami was awarded the Order of the Jordanian Planet of the first and third class as well as the Supreme Order of the Renaissance of the second class and his wife Greta was awarded the Order of the Jordanian Planet of the second class. Dr. Sami has been awarded numerous other honors from many societies and institutions for his professional, national and humanitarian services.